One of our favorite places to visit is Yellowstone National Park!
No other place on earth can you see geysers, thermal pools, waterfalls and wildlife like you can at this park.
Yellowstone activities include hiking, scenic drives, fishing, photography and spotting animals.
There is something to see, do and photograph at every turn! We’ve created an amazing 4 day itinerary to help you navigate the park and avoid the crowds!
We have created a list of Yellowstone National Park vacation ideas that include travel guides, packing checklists, tips and resources to plan your getaway!
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
WHAT TO PACK FOR A YELLOWSTONE VACATION
Yellowstone Packing List for Summer
- Light hiking shoes or sandals – we recommend Merrell Moab hiking shoes or Oboz hiking shoes
- Darn Tough socks
- Water shoes and swimwear
- Hiking pants
- Moisture-wicking shirts
- Sun hat or Buff headbands
- Fleece jacket
Yellowstone Packing List for Winter
- https://www.amazon.com/s?k=insulated+winter+coat+adult&linkCode=ll2&tag=photoj0220-20&linkId=a13c6f88bb3db8ac0370705c3b29d0e6&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tlInsulated boots
- Heavy wool socks – again we LOVE Darn Tough Socks!
- Wicking and quick-drying base layers
- Fleece or insulated jacket
- Wool, down or heavy-weight insulated jacket
- Insulating hat
- Insulating winter gloves
- Fleece neck gaiter or buff
Other Yellowstone packing essentials:
National Parks Pass – Before you visit Yellowstone National Park be sure to pack your The America the Beautiful Annual Pass.
- US National Park packing list
- Camelbak hydration packs or carry Hydroflask bottles in your day backpack
- Insect repellent – you’ll need it!
- Hand sanitizer
- Binoculars or spotting scope
- Yellowstone Map
- First aid kit
- Bear spray – you can rent this at Grant or Canyon
- Camera gear
Where to Stay Near Yellowstone
Places to stay in West Yellowstone that we recommend:
- Holiday Inn, West Yellowstone
- ClubHouse Inn, West Yellowstone
- Kelly Inn, West Yellowstone
- → CHECK OUT more West Yellowstone hotels!
Places to stay in Gardiner that we recommend:
- Yellowstone Gateway Inn, Gardiner – full kitchen and comfy bed, one of our favorite places to stay!
- Park Hotel Yellowstone, Gardiner – charming place to stay and loved by guests!
- Absaroka Lodge, Gardiner – beautiful location with river views!
- → CHECK OUT more Gardiner hotels!
Places to stay in Cooke City or Silver Gate that we recommend:
- Sunny Log Home on the Creek, Silver Gate (VRBO) – the most AMAZING location with an awesome fireplace and comfy bed!
- High Country Motel and Cabins – local owners who love what they do, and make you feel so welcome!
- Rent an RV – have it dropped off at your vacation destination!
YELLOWSTONE VACATION TIPS & RESOURCES
- Yellowstone Vacation Planner & 4 Day Itinerary
- Yellowstone Vacation Ideas
- Plan a Yellowstone Vacation
- Things to do at Yellowstone
- Best Time to Visit Yellowstone
- Yellowstone Waterfalls List
- Yellowstone Summer Tours
- Yellowstone in the Spring
- Yellowstone in the Summer
- Yellowstone in the Fall
- Yellowstone in the Winter
- Places to Stay at Yellowstone
- US National Park Pass – it’s a good deal!
- Yellowstone Maps & Guidebooks