Yellowstone National Park
One of our favorite places to visit is Yellowstone National Park!
No other place on earth can you see geysers, thermal pools, waterfalls and wildlife like you can at this park.
Yellowstone activities include hiking, scenic drives, fishing, photography and spotting animals.
There is something to see, do and photograph at every turn! We’ve created an amazing 4 day itinerary to help you navigate the park and avoid the crowds!
Use our Yellowstone National Park travel guide, packing checklists, tips and resources to plan your getaway!
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
WHAT TO PACK FOR A YELLOWSTONE VACATION
→ DOWNLOAD THE US National Park packing list
Yellowstone Packing List for Summer
- Merrell Moab hiking shoes or Oboz hiking shoes
- Darn Tough hiking socks
- Hiking pants
- Moisture-wicking shirts
- Sun hat or Buff headbands
- Fleece jacket
Yellowstone Packing List for Winter
- Insulated boots
- Darn Tough hiking socks!
- Wicking and quick-drying base layers
- Fleece or insulated jacket
- Wool, down or heavy-weight insulated jacket
- Insulating hat
- Insulating winter gloves
- Fleece neck gaiter or buff
Other Yellowstone packing essentials:
- America the Beautiful Annual Pass. We think the National Parks Pass is a GOOD DEAL!
- Camelbak hydration packs or carry Hydroflask bottles in your day backpack
- Insect repellent – you’ll need it!
- Hand sanitizer
- Binoculars or spotting scope
- Yellowstone Map
- First aid kit
- Bear spray – you can rent this at Grant or Canyon
- DOWNLOAD: Camera Gear Checklist
Where to Stay Near Yellowstone
Places to stay in West Yellowstone
- Holiday Inn, West Yellowstone
- ClubHouse Inn, West Yellowstone
- Kelly Inn, West Yellowstone
- West Yellowstone hotels!
Places to stay in Gardiner
- Yellowstone Gateway Inn, Gardiner – full kitchen and comfy bed, one of our favorite places to stay!
- Park Hotel Yellowstone, Gardiner – charming place to stay and loved by guests!
- Absaroka Lodge, Gardiner – beautiful location with river views!
- Gardiner hotels!
Places to stay in Cooke City or Silver Gate
- Sunny Log Home on the Creek, Silver Gate (VRBO) – the most AMAZING location with an awesome fireplace and comfy bed!
- High Country Motel and Cabins – local owners who love what they do, and make you feel so welcome!
- Rent an RV – have it dropped off at your vacation destination!