If you love geysers, waterfalls and wildlife, you’ll find a ton of things to do at Yellowstone National Park.
We’ve created a list of Yellowstone National Park vacation ideas to help you plan the activities you’ll do each day.
And don’t forget to take a look at our favorite Yellowstone 4 day itinerary and planner!
Use our list of resources below to learn more about the hiking trails, scenic drives, photography spots and other things to do at Yellowstone.
Things to Do at Yellowstone National Park
Yellowstone is the first national park established in the United States on March 1, 1872. In fact, it’s the first national park in the world!
The park is located in three states: Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana, with most of the land located in Wyoming. It’s the largest national park in the United States, outside of Alaska.
Yellowstone is one of the most visited national parks in the United States. Summer, especially July and August are very busy times at the park so be patient driving the road, looking for parking and sharing the boardwalks and trails with many other visitors.
Here’s a list of fun things to do at Yellowstone:
- Watch geysers erupt
- See colorful hot springs
- Watch and photograph wildlife
- Drive the Yellowstone Loop
- Explore the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
- Hike the trails (best way to avoid the crowds!)
- Go rafting, kayaking or paddling
- Camp in the park
- Go fishing
- See and photograph waterfalls
Plan Your Yellowstone Vacation
Use our guides below to help you plan the perfect itinerary when visiting the park.
- Yellowstone Vacation Planning Guide
- Yellowstone Vacation Planner + 4 Day Itinerary
- Yellowstone Vacation Tips
- Must-See Yellowstone Waterfalls
Best Time to Visit Yellowstone
There are important things to know about visiting Yellowstone during each season. Check out these lists of what it’s like to visit the park during the spring, summer, fall and winter.
- Best Time to Visit Yellowstone
- Yellowstone in the Spring
- Yellowstone in the Summer
- Yellowstone in the Fall
- Yellowstone in the Winter
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
Where to Stay Near Yellowstone
Places to stay in West Yellowstone that we recommend:
- Holiday Inn, West Yellowstone
- ClubHouse Inn, West Yellowstone
- Kelly Inn, West Yellowstone
- → CHECK OUT more West Yellowstone hotels!
Places to stay in Gardiner that we recommend:
- Yellowstone Gateway Inn, Gardiner – full kitchen and comfy bed, one of our favorite places to stay!
- Park Hotel Yellowstone, Gardiner – charming place to stay and loved by guests!
- Absaroka Lodge, Gardiner – beautiful location with river views!
- → CHECK OUT more Gardiner hotels!
Places to stay in Cooke City or Silver Gate that we recommend:
- Sunny Log Home on the Creek, Silver Gate (VRBO) – the most AMAZING location with an awesome fireplace and comfy bed!
- High Country Motel and Cabins – local owners who love what they do, and make you feel so welcome!
- Rent an RV – have it dropped off at your vacation destination!