Use our Yellowstone National Park travel guide to plan the most amazing vacation!
When you’re looking for US National Park vacation ideas, Yellowstone needs to be at the top of the list!
Yellowstone is one of our favorite national parks and we go every chance we get. We only live a few hours away and consider ourselves locals.
Check out our tips and resources to help you get started planning your Yellowstone vacation.
Use our list below to learn more about the hiking trails, scenic drives, photography spots and other things to do at Yellowstone.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
Yellowstone National Park Packing List
FREE DOWNLOAD: Printable Yellowstone Packing Lists
- Merrell Moab hiking shoes or Oboz hiking shoes
- Darn Tough hiking socks
- Water – carry a hydration pack or a refillable water bottle in your backpack
- Healthy food that’s portable and filling!
- Columbia fleece jacket
- Wicking, quick-drying clothing
- Lip balm with UV protection
- Sun protection – sunscreen (even in the winter) and a sunhat
- UV sunglasses are good for summer and winter
- Travel hand sanitizer
- Flashlight or headlamp
- US National Park travel guides and maps
- First aid kit
- Insect repellent
- Camera gear – DOWNLOAD the free checklist!
Check out this resource if you’ll be packing for a winter vacation in Yellowstone
Yellowstone National Park Travel Guides
Use our travel guides, vacation planners, and our favorite 4 day itinerary to help you plan the perfect trip to the park!
- Yellowstone Vacation Planner + 4 Day Itinerary
- Yellowstone Vacation Ideas
- Yellowstone Vacation Planning Guide
- Yellowstone Vacation Tips
When Is the Best Time to Visit Yellowstone
There are important things to know about visiting the park during the different seasons of the year. You’ll need to be aware of the road conditions and closures. And there are times of the year when park services are closed. Check out these articles to know all about planning a trip during a specific season or month so you know in advance what to expect.
- When is the Best Time to Visit Yellowstone
- Best Time to Visit Yellowstone for Wildlife
- Yellowstone in the Spring
- Yellowstone Summer Vacation
- Yellowstone Vacation in the Fall
- Yellowstone Winter Vacation
Visiting Yellowstone By Month
- Yellowstone in January
- Yellowstone National Park in February
- Yellowstone National Park in March
- Yellowstone National Park in April
- Yellowstone in May
- Yellowstone in June
- Yellowstone National Park in July
- Yellowstone National Park in August
- Yellowstone National Park in September
- Yellowstone in October
- Yellowstone in November
- Yellowstone in December
A Photo Tour of Yellowstone Waterfalls
Take a visual tour through Yellowstone National Park to see the stunning landscape and waterfalls you’ll find in the park!
Yellowstone Attractions and Things to Do
Here’s a list of things to do, see and photograph at YNP. The park is known for its waterfalls, geysers and wildlife. You can plan your own itinerary to see the attractions in the park, or you can find a fun tour to explore the points of interest.
- Things to Do at Yellowstone National Park
- Yellowstone National Park Southern Loop
- Yellowstone Vacation Tips – Itineraries & Things to Do
- Yellowstone Waterfalls
- Yellowstone Scenic Drives
- Yellowstone Summer Tours
- Canyon Area Day Hikes at Yellowstone
Yellowstone & Grand Teton AUDIO TOUR
“Download the app to your phone – no cell or wifi service needed. Based on your GPS location, the app takes you on a guided tour of the park and points out all the interesting features and stops. It’s like having a park ranger in the car with you.”
Places to Stay at Yellowstone
Hotels and Vacation Rentals in West Yellowstone:
- Holiday Inn, West Yellowstone
- ClubHouse Inn, West Yellowstone
- Kelly Inn, West Yellowstone
- → CHECK OUT more West Yellowstone hotels!
Hotels and Vacation Rentals in Gardiner:
- Yellowstone Gateway Inn, Gardiner – full kitchen and comfy bed, one of our favorite places to stay!
- Park Hotel Yellowstone, Gardiner – charming place to stay and loved by guests!
- Absaroka Lodge, Gardiner – beautiful location with river views!
- → CHECK OUT more Gardiner hotels!
Hotels and Vacation Rentals in Cooke City or Silver Gate:
- Sunny Log Home on the Creek, Silver Gate (VRBO) – the most AMAZING location with an awesome fireplace and comfy bed!
- Mountain View Cabin, Cooke City – great views and we enjoyed having a washer and dryer!
- High Country Motel and Cabins – local owners who love what they do, and make you feel so welcome!
Yellowstone Maps and Guides at Amazon: