20 Yellowstone National Park Winter Pictures + Travel Guide
We’ve created this gallery of 20 Yellowstone National Park winter pictures to inspire you to add this location to your bucket list!
Use this picture gallery and Yellowstone National Park travel guide to know all the best things to see, do, and photograph at the park in the winter!
On a Yellowstone winter vacation you’ll find the landscape covered with snow. The steam from the hot pools and geysers is more pronounced in the cold air. And the wildlife stands out against the white snow.
This guide gives you all the information you need to plan a winter trip: Yellowstone winter lodging, services, road status, weather, and more!
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
Yellowstone Winter Packing List
READ all about packing for a winter vacation in Yellowstone!
- Insulted boots – Baffin winter boots are amazing!!
- Darn Tough heavy wool socks
- Wicking and quick-drying base layers
- Columbia fleece jackets are our favorite!
- Insulated winter jacket – to layer atop the fleece jacket for the cold mornings and evenings, trust us!
- Winter hat
- Winter gloves
- Rechargeable hand warmers
- Fleece neck gaiter
Things to Know Before Visiting Yellowstone in the Winter
There are limited services and ways to enter Yellowstone in the winter so be sure to plan ahead for a winter vacation to this park!
Yellowstone Roads in the Winter
All roads except from the north entrance in Gardiner to the northeast entrance in Cooke City are closed. Be sure to read the fall and winter Yellowstone road closure dates for the most updated year-to-year information.
You can access the park from West Yellowstone and the south entrance near Grand Teton by snow coach tours, snowshoeing, cross country skiing or snowmobile tours.
Yellowstone Services in the Winter
Mammoth Hot Springs to the Northeast Entrance is the only part of the park open to wheeled vehicles in the winter. The road is open up to Cooke City, Montana, after which the road is closed (no through-traffic to Red Lodge, Montana or Cody, Wyoming). Services are very limited between Mammoth Hot Springs and Cooke City, Montana.
Mammoth Hot Springs and Tower-Roosevelt areas:
- Albright Visitor Center
- General Store
- Mammoth Campground
- Mammoth Clinic
- Post Office
- Mammoth and Tower-Roosevelt Service Stations – credit card fueling only 24-hours
Old Faithful area:
- Old Faithful Snow Lodge
- Old Faithful Visitor Education Center
- Old Faithful and Grant Service Stations – credit card fueling only 24-hours
- Canyon Yurt Camp
- Canyon and Fishing Bridge Service Stations – credit card fueling only 24-hours
Warming Huts available in the winter:
- Canyon Visitor Education Center Lobby
- Fishing Bridge
- Indian Creek
- Mammoth Hot Springs
- Old Faithful Yurts
- West Thumb
Always check the Yellowstone operating hours and seasons for the most updated information.
Yellowstone Weather in the Winter
The Yellowstone National Park weather in the winter is cold and snowy. Average temperatures range from highs in the upper 20s and lows close to 0.
Layers are key when exploring the park in the winter. Reference our winter clothing guide so you can enjoy the outdoors, even when it’s cold!
We recommend at the minimum:
Things to Do at Yellowstone in the Winter
- Yellowstone National Park Winter Tours
- Things to Do at Yellowstone National Park
- Best Time to Visit Yellowstone for Wildlife
- Best Places to See Wildlife in Yellowstone National Park
Yellowstone National Park Winter Pictures
Here’s a gallery of our favorite Yellowstone winter pictures taken on a Snowcoach Tour with Alpen Guides from West Yellowstone to Black Basin.
There you have it! 20 Yellowstone National Park winter pictures to show you what it’s like when you visit during this unique time of year!
Yellowstone Maps and Guides at Amazon:
Places to Stay at Yellowstone
Hotels and Vacation Rentals in West Yellowstone:
- Holiday Inn, West Yellowstone
- ClubHouse Inn, West Yellowstone
- Kelly Inn, West Yellowstone
- → CHECK OUT more West Yellowstone hotels!
Hotels and Vacation Rentals in Gardiner:
- Yellowstone Gateway Inn, Gardiner – full kitchen and comfy bed, one of our favorite places to stay!
- Park Hotel Yellowstone, Gardiner – charming place to stay and loved by guests!
- Absaroka Lodge, Gardiner – beautiful location with river views!
- → CHECK OUT more Gardiner hotels!
Hotels and Vacation Rentals in Cooke City or Silver Gate:
- Sunny Log Home on the Creek, Silver Gate (VRBO) – the most AMAZING location with an awesome fireplace and comfy bed!
- Mountain View Cabin, Cooke City – great views and we enjoyed having a washer and dryer!
- High Country Motel and Cabins – local owners who love what they do, and make you feel so welcome!