Yellowstone National Park Weather: Best Time of Year to Visit
It’s all about the weather when deciding the best time of year to plan a vacation. This article details the Yellowstone National Park weather you can expect each season and month of the year.
Use this Yellowstone National Park travel guide to know the expected temperatures and weather, services available, things to do, what to pack, and where to stay during the year.
Do your research to know what it’s like visiting Yellowstone at various times of year so you can decide which season and month is best for you to plan your vacation to this stunning park!
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
A Photo Tour of Yellowstone Waterfalls
Take a visual tour through Yellowstone National Park to see the stunning landscape and waterfalls you’ll find in the park!
Visiting Yellowstone National Park
Most of the year you’ll enjoy fun outdoor things to do at Yellowstone National Park like scenic drives, hiking, wildlife safaris, and photography. During the winter, the park access and activities are limited due to cold and snowy conditions!
When planning a Yellowstone vacation it’s important to be up-to-date with current weather and road conditions!
Use these resources to plan your trip to Yellowstone:
- Yellowstone Vacation Planning Guide
- Yellowstone Vacation Tips
- Yellowstone Waterfalls
- Best Time to Visit Yellowstone for Wildlife
Yellowstone & Grand Teton AUDIO TOUR
“Download the app to your phone – no cell or wifi service needed. Based on your GPS location, the app takes you on a guided tour of the park and points out all the interesting features and stops. It’s like having a park ranger in the car with you.”
Yellowstone National Park Weather
If you’re wondering the best time to Visit Yellowstone National Park, below you’ll find specific information about what it’s like at different seasons and months of the year to help you decide. You’ll also find links to different articles we’ve written about each season or month specifically: weather, services, and things to do that time of year.
Spring Weather at Yellowstone
Springtime at Yellowstone varies quite a bit from month to month. Spring can often feel more like a Yellowstone winter vacation compared to other places because it is higher in elevation.
When visiting Yellowstone in the spring, be aware the weather can change almost instantly so you want to be sure you come prepared with the right clothes especially for those very cold days and nights.
- Yellowstone in March: Highs 35 | Lows 2 degrees F
- Yellowstone in April: Highs 50 | Lows 27 degrees F
- Yellowstone in May: Highs 55 | Lows 30 degrees F
It is not unusual to get snowfall in May so watch the weather and pack a winter coat, winter hat, and winter gloves when going to Yellowstone during all the spring months.
Spring is one of the best times to visit Yellowstone for wildlife with all the new babies in the park!
Summer Weather at Yellowstone
Planning a Yellowstone summer vacation is the perfect way to escape the heat. The summers are typically mild and the nights are cooler.
- Yellowstone in June: Highs 70 | Lows 40 degrees F
- Yellowstone in July: Highs 80 | Lows 40 degrees F
- Yellowstone in August: Highs 80 | Lows 40 degrees F
The first part of summer in Yellowstone it doesn’t hurt to pack winter gloves, hat, coat and fleece jacket and wear layers since the mornings and evenings are still cold! By mid-summer you’ll want a sun hat, sunscreen, hydration pack or a refillable water bottle in your backpack.
Summer is a great time to see and photograph the Yellowstone waterfalls! And here’s a list of Yellowstone summer tours you can enjoy!
Fall Weather at Yellowstone
The weather at Yellowstone in the fall the days get gradually shorter as winter nears, and temperatures drop rapidly once the sun goes down. Be prepared for rain or snow at any time in the fall.
- Yellowstone in September: Highs 64 | Low 30 degrees F
- Yellowstone in October: Highs 51 | Low 22 degrees F
- Yellowstone in November: Highs 34 | Low 12 degrees F
Layers are key when exploring Yellowstone during the fall months. Reference our winter clothing guide so you can enjoy the outdoors, even when it’s cold!
Fall is a great time for photographing wildlife at Yellowstone. In September you can experience the elk rut. You’ll also see bears return to the lower elevations looking for berries and bull bison or elk that perished during the rut.
Winter Weather at Yellowstone
We love planning a Yellowstone winter vacation! But there are important things you need to know. Vehicles are not allowed in the park around the first week of November, except from Mammoth Hot Springs through the North Entrance.
In mid-December, the roads open to oversnow travel only via snowmobile, snowcoach, snowshoe and cross-country ski. We enjoyed traveling along Yellowstone’s snow-covered roads in a bomardier snowcoach.
- Yellowstone in December: Highs 30 | Lows 12 degrees F
- Yellowstone in January: Highs 29 | Lows 10 degrees F
- Yellowstone in February: Highs 34 | Lows 13 degrees F
BUT the cold winter weather may not be for everyone. Be sure you’re prepared for the cold weather by knowing what to pack for a winter vacation in Yellowstone.
There’s also limited Yellowstone Winter Lodging in the park. The Old Faithful Snow Lodge is a once-in-lifetime experience!
Yellowstone Maps and Guides at Amazon:
Plan a Yellowstone Vacation
- Yellowstone National Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do at Yellowstone National Park
- Best Time to Visit Yellowstone National Park
- Best Time to Visit Yellowstone for Wildlife
- Yellowstone Tours
Places to stay in West Yellowstone
- Holiday Inn, West Yellowstone
- ClubHouse Inn, West Yellowstone
- Kelly Inn, West Yellowstone
- West Yellowstone hotels!
Places to stay in Gardiner
- Yellowstone Gateway Inn, Gardiner – full kitchen and comfy bed, one of our favorite places to stay!
- Park Hotel Yellowstone, Gardiner – charming place to stay and loved by guests!
- Absaroka Lodge, Gardiner – beautiful location with river views!
- Gardiner hotels!
Places to stay in Cooke City or Silver Gate
- Sunny Log Home on the Creek, Silver Gate (VRBO) – the most AMAZING location with an awesome fireplace and comfy bed!
- High Country Motel and Cabins – local owners who love what they do, and make you feel so welcome!
- Rent an RV – have it dropped off at your vacation destination!