Looking for the best camera for hiking? We’ve put together a list of cameras that are perfect for hiking due to their portability, size and weight.
People always ask us about the travel photography gear we use when hiking so here’s our list!
We share tips for how to choose the perfect camera for hiking.
Check out our the list of the 10 cameras we recommend that are compact, lightweight and perfect for photographing the outdoors while hiking!
Camera Gear for Landscape Photography
DOWNLOAD: Camera Gear Checklist
- Camera: check out the compact travel cameras we recommend!
- Tripod: take a look at these compact and lightweight travel tripods!
- Camera Bag: protect your camera from sand and water → We use Lowepro camera backpacks for outdoor photography.
- Neutral density filter: to compensate for variance of light you’ll need to use a neutral density filter. → Check out the Kase magnetic filters we use!
- Camera cleaning kit: remove dust or water that WILL get on your lens. NOTE: this is not for cleaning the sensor.
- Memory cards: purchase name brand memory cards since you’re trusting your images to the card! → We use Lexar and Sandisk!
- External hard drive: copy photos to a portable external hard drive ‘just in case’.
- Headlamp: use when taking sunrise and sunset photos!
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST CAMERA FOR HIKING
The best camera for hiking should be compact, portable and lightweight.
As you hike, you want camera gear to capture all the amazing things you see, but it needs to be small enough and light enough not to weigh you down.
The cameras we’ve listed will shoot high quality photos and video of your hiking adventures!
There are five things to consider when researching the best camera to add to your photography gear for hiking:
- Image quality
- Zoom range
- Size and weight
Other cameras to consider:
- Best Compact Travel Cameras
- Best Cameras for Beginners
- Best DSLR Cameras for Travel
- Best Budget Vlogging Cameras