If you’re looking for fun summer vacation ideas in the US, you’ve come to the right place.
Summer is the perfect time for a road trip. Take a look at our road trip ideas and itineraries to see if there’s one that interests you.
US National Parks and State Parks are amazing summer vacation destinations. We share our favorite US National Park vacation ideas, which parks are best to explore during the summer, things to do and what to pack.
Use our list of resources below to help you find the perfect US summer vacation destination to add to your bucket list.
You’ll find travel tips, attractions, recommended activities and a packing checklist to help you plan a fabulous vacation this summer.
USA Summer Vacation Ideas
Summer is the most popular time to travel! Here’s a list US destinations that are awesome to visit during the summer months. Use our travel guides below to know what to expect during the summer, fun things to do and what to pack!
- Summer Vacations in the Southwest
- Summer Road Trip Destinations
- Summer Road Trip Ideas
- Summer Hiking Trails in the US
US National Park Summer Vacation Ideas
With summer vacation just around the corner, it’s time to plan your trip! There are many national parks in the US that are worth visiting during the summer months. Use our US National Park vacation guides to know what to expect during the summer, fun things to do and what to pack!
- Visit US National Parks in the Summer
- Utah National Parks in the Summer
- Best California National Parks in the Summer
- Arches National Park in the Summer
- Zion National Park in the Summer
- Things to Do at Grand Teton National Park in the Summer
- Summer Activities at Grand Teton
- Yellowstone Summer Vacation
- Yellowstone Summer Tours
US National Parks to Visit by Month in the Summer
There are important things to know about visiting US national parks in June, July and August. Check out these articles to know all about planning a trip during a specific month so you know in advance what to expect.
National Park Travel Planning Guides
Use our national park planning guides, itineraries and travel planners to create the most amazing summer vacation! The guides include multi-day itineraries, lists of attractions to see, hikes to explore, favorite photo spots and even a packing list!
- Yellowstone Vacation Planning Guide
- Yellowstone Vacation Planner + 4 Day Itinerary
- Yellowstone National Park Travel Planner
- 3 Day Arches & Canyonlands Itinerary and Photography Guide
- Guide to Arches Photography & Things to Do
- Arches National Park Planner
Travel Tips and Resources
Use our tips and resources below to help you know what to pack if you’re visiting a US National Park this summer, doing a road trip, taking day hikes, hiking with kids or taking travel photos! These helpful travel checklists will make sure you haven’t left anything at home!
- National Park Packing Lists for Summer
- Family Road Trip Items You Need to Pack
- Day Hike Packing List
- Hiking Gear for Kids
- Camera Gear Checklist
- 25 Best Travel Products to Pack for Your Next Trip
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
WHAT TO PACK FOR SUMMER VACATION
1. Hiking Gear
- Hiking shoes & boots: → Check out our FAVORITE hiking shoes/boots!
- Hiking socks: → Check out the BEST SOCKS EVER!
- Walking stick or trekking poles
2. Clothing – Layers
- WATER: → We carry water bottles or hydration backpacks
- FOOD: → Check out our favorite healthy snacks
- Flashlight: → Check out the headlamps we like
- National Park maps
- Lip protection with sunscreen
- Polarized sunglasses
- Insect repellant
- Hand lotion
- Toilet paper (carry out in a bag – do not bury)
- Hand sanitizer
- First aid kit
- Bags to pack out trash