A trip to Grand Teton National Park in April will still feel like winter so be prepared for cold and snow.
Use our Grand Teton National Park guide and the information below to learn all about an April trip: services available, what to pack, where to stay, things to do, and more!
When visiting Grand Teton in April, most of the services and roads are still closed at this time which is a great way to avoid the busy season crowds!
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
Grand Teton National Park Packing List
DOWNLOAD: Grand Teton Packing Checklist
- Merrell Moab hiking shoes or Oboz hiking shoes
- Darn Tough hiking socks
- Water – carry a hydration pack or a refillable water bottle in your backpack
- Healthy food that’s portable and filling!
- Columbia fleece jacket
- Wicking, quick-drying clothing
- Lip balm with UV protection
- Sun protection – sunscreen (even in the winter) and a sunhat
- UV sunglasses are good for summer and winter
- Travel hand sanitizer
- Flashlight or headlamp
- US National Park travel guides and maps
- First aid kit
- Insect repellent
- Camera gear – DOWNLOAD the free checklist!
A Photo Tour of Grand Teton National Park
Take a visual tour through Grand Teton National Park to see the stunning landscape and wildlife you’ll find in the park!
Grand Teton National Park in April
There are a lot of things to do when visiting Grand Teton National Park. Each season will have different activities and services available.
In April, you can still enjoy winter activities like skiing and snowshoeing. As the snow melts you can enjoy hiking, running and biking along roads and trails.
Use our guide to find other times of year to visit if you want to do summer activities like hiking and kayaking: best time to visit Grand Teton National Park.
Grand Teton Services in April
Grand Teton is open 24 hours, every day of the year. In April, most of the park roads and services are closed. Check the Grand Teton website for more information.
Campgrounds and lodges are closed so you’ll need to stay in nearby Jackson.
April Weather at Grand Teton National Park
When you visit Grand Teton in April you still can expect very cold temperatures. Daytime highs are near 47 degrees Fahrenheit and the lows are near 20.
It’s STILL important that you dress in layers and bring your winter clothing.
Snow storms can roll through at any time. Always check the current weather and road conditions on the Grand Teton website.
Wildlife at Grand Teton in April
You’ll see many elk at the Elk Refuge between the park and the town of Jackson. You can take a sleigh ride tour near Grand Teton to see the elk up close up through early April. Check for dates and times.
If you’re lucky you may see eagles, coyotes, foxes, bison, deer, wolves, trumpeter swans and more on the tour… as well as on the roads or trails that are open in the park.
Teton Park Road in April
Enjoy skiing, snowshoeing and walking along the Teton Park Road from Taggart Lake Trailhead to the Signal Mountain Lodge.
The road is closed to vehicles in April. Once the snow melts, you can ride your bike on the road until April 30. You can also hike, run, rollerblade and walk your dog on the road.
Photography at Grand Teton in April
The winter landscape at Grand Teton is amazing! The jagged peaks of the snow-capped mountains are a photographer’s dream!
Accessing the best places to photograph Grand Teton National Park in April is difficult. Many of these locations look vastly different when the water is frozen and snow-covered.
Check out our favorite photo spots at Grand Teton and print the checklist to take with you!
Be ready with your camera gear to capture images the landscape and wildlife as you drive along the road, or hike the trails.
PLAN A GRAND TETON VACATION
- Grand Teton National Park Vacation Ideas
- Visiting Grand Teton National Park
- Best Time to Visit Grand Teton National Park
- Photograph Grand Teton National Park
- Where to Stay Near Grand Teton National Park
Where to Stay in Jackson near Grand Teton:
- Elk Refuge Inn – this is right across from the refuge and the closes hotel to the park entrance – our favorite place to stay!
- Elk Country Inn – awesome property if you want to be in town.
- Vacation Rentals near Grand Teton – we LOVE having a kitchen to prepare our meals!
- Hotels in Jackson Hole
- Rent an RV – have it dropped off at your vacation destination!