It’s all about the weather when deciding the best time of year to plan a vacation. This article details the Grand Teton National Park weather you can expect each season and month of the year.
Use this Grand Teton National Park guide to know the expected temperatures and weather, services available, things to do, what to pack, and where to stay during the year.
Do your research to know what it’s like visiting Grand Teton National Park at various times of year so you can decide which season and month is best for you to plan your vacation to this stunning park!
Full list of gear we recommend: Grand Teton packing checklist
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
A Photo Tour of Grand Teton National Park
Take a visual tour through Grand Teton National Park to see the stunning landscape and wildlife you’ll find in the park!
Visiting Grand Teton National Park
You’ll find many things to do in Grand Teton National Park any time of year. During the winter, the activities may be a bit more limited due to cold or snowy conditions!
When planning a Grand Teton National Park vacation it’s important to be up-to-date with current weather and road conditions!
Use these resources to plan your trip to Grand Teton vacation:
Yellowstone & Grand Teton AUDIO TOUR
“Download the app to your phone – no cell or wifi service needed. Based on your GPS location, the app takes you on a guided tour of the park and points out all the interesting features and stops. It’s like having a park ranger in the car with you.”
Grand Teton National Park Weather
If you’re wondering the best time to visit best time to visit Grand Teton National Park, below you’ll find specific information about what it’s like at different seasons and months of the year to help you decide.
You’ll also find links to different articles we’ve written about each season or month specifically: weather, services, and things to do that time of year.
Spring Weather at Grand Teton National Park
Springtime at Grand Teton varies quite a bit from month to month. When visiting Grand Teton National Park in the spring, it’s important to pack for all types of weather because you never know when the weather will change.
- Grand Teton in March: Highs 40 | Lows 12 degrees F
- Grand Teton in April: Highs 50 | Lows 22 degrees F
- Grand Teton in May: Highs 60 | Lows 30 degrees F
The spring months are pretty quiet at Grand Teton. Usually the first of May is when the Teton Park Road from Taggart Lake to Signal Mountain Lodge is open.
At any time in the late spring there may be snow and lakes still frozen, especially close to the base of the Teton range. And of course, the higher up you go in elevation, the more winter holds on!
Summer Weather at Grand Teton National Park
There are so many summer activities at Grand Teton because the weather is just right to enjoy the outdoors! No wonder it’s the most popular time to visit!
- Grand Teton in June: Highs 70 | Lows 37 degrees F
- Grand Teton in July: Highs 80 | Lows 42 degrees F
- Grand Teton in August : Highs 80 | Lows 40 degrees F
In early summer, some of the hiking trails will be muddy (or still covered with snow at the higher elevations), and some areas in the park will be closed due to bear activity.
Summer is a great time to explore the Grand Teton day hikes and enjoy water activities like boating and kayaking.
Fall Weather at Grand Teton National Park
The weather at Grand Teton in the fall starts to cool down so be prepared for the cold temperatures at night!
- Grand Teton in September: Highs 70 | Lows 32 degrees F
- Grand Teton in October: Highs 55 | Lows 23 degrees F
- Grand Teton in November: Highs 38 | Lows 14 degrees F
Fall is a nice time to photograph Grand Teton National Park with the vibrant fall colors. It’s also a time when wildlife is active getting ready for winter.
Winter Weather at Grand Teton
The temperatures really drop at Grand Teton National Park in the winter so it’s the least busy season.
The Teton Park Road is closed November 1 to April 30 from Taggart Lake Trailhead to Signal Mountain Lodge. During this time the road is used for skiing, snowshoeing, and hiking from mid-December to mid-March.
Moose-Wilson Road is usually closed to vehicles until mid-May. When it’s snow-packed it’s open to skiing, snowshoeing and hiking.
Highway 191 from Jackson to Moran is open. You can find many photo spots at Grand Teton along this road.
- Grand Teton in December: Highs 26 | Lows 2 degrees F
- Grand Teton in January: Highs 26 | Lows 1 degrees F
- Grand Teton in February: Highs 31 | Lows 3 degrees F
Plan a Grand Teton Vacation
- Grand Teton National Park Guide
- Things to do in Grand Teton National Park any time of year
- Best Time to Visit Grand Teton National Park
- Photograph Grand Teton National Park
- Grand Teton TOURS
Where to Stay in Jackson near Grand Teton:
Here’s a list of our favorite places to stay:
- Elk Refuge Inn – this is right across from the refuge and the closes hotel to the park entrance – our favorite place to stay!
- Elk Country Inn – awesome property if you want to be in town.
- Vacation Rentals near Grand Teton – we LOVE having a kitchen to prepare our meals!
- Hotels in Jackson Hole
- Rent an RV – have it dropped off at your vacation destination!