Arches National Park in April is one of the best times to visit due to the moderate temperatures.
It’s nice to be able to explore the park all day long without worrying about the daytime heat during the summer!
When planning your Arches vacation, keep in mind that spring is a popular season so expect crowds!
Use this guide to help you decide if an April vacation to Arches is the right time for you to enjoy outdoor adventures at this park.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
What to Pack for a Spring National Park Vacation
DOWNLOAD our US National Park checklists to make it easy to pack what you need for your next trip!
1. US National Parks Pass
You can order passes online or get them at any of these Federal Recreation Areas.
→ BUY THE PASS AT REI and they will donate 10% of sales to the National Park Foundation.
2. Hiking Gear
- Hiking shoes & boots: → Check out our FAVORITE hiking shoes/boots!
- Hiking socks: → Check out the BEST SOCKS EVER!
- Walking stick or trekking poles
3. Clothing – Layers
- WATER: → We carry water bottles or hydration backpacks
- FOOD: → Check out our favorite healthy snacks
- Flashlight: → Check out the headlamps we like
- National Park maps
- Lip protection with sunscreen
- Polarized sunglasses
- Insect repellant
- Hand lotion
- Female urination device
- Toilet paper (carry out in a bag – do not bury)
- Hand sanitizer
- First aid kit
- Bags to pack out trash
Where to Stay Near Arches:
Arches National Park camping can only be done at the one small campground.
There are no hotels in Arches so most people stay in the nearby town of Moab. You’ll find restaurants and places to shop which adds to the appeal to find accommodations in Moab.
There are all types of lodging in and near Moab from budget-friendly hotels to higher-prices resorts. You’ll also find vacation rentals, a hostel, campgrounds and RV parks
READ OUR FULL GUIDE: Places to stay near Arches National Park in Moab
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Moab – we enjoyed our stay and highly recommend this hotel due to its location close to Arches.
- Purple Sage – our all-time favorite place to stay in Moab – walking distance to shopping, full kitchen, and only 8 units so you don’t feel lost in a large hotel.
- Red Cliffs Lodge – rooms up to 6 people – located 17 miles from Moab, this lodge is known for its beautiful location, winery and activities like horseback riding, fishing and more!
- Vacation Rentals – we really like rentals with a kitchen, washer and dryer and amenities like a swimming pool and hot tub.
- Rent an RV – have it dropped off at your vacation destination!
TOP REASON TO VISIT ARCHES NATIONAL PARK IN APRIL
The weather at Arches in April is a great time to explore the park because it will be cool in the mornings and evenings, and the daytime temperatures aren’t too hot compared to the summer.
There is not much shade to be found at Arches so it’s nice to be in the park on a sunny day when the air isn’t stifling! It makes hiking so much more enjoyable!
Spring is also awesome to see the flowers that bloom during this time of year at Arches.
Arches is a popular spring break destination so expect crowds!
There will be lines to get into the park, especially on the weekends. There will be cars circling the parking lots looking for a place to park, and the points of interest will be packed with people.
TIP: Go early because Arches will close when the parking lots are full!
ARCHES WEATHER IN APRIL
The weather at Arches National Park in April is “just right” with cooler mornings and evenings, and daytime temperatures are still moderate.
Keep in mind the weather can be unpredictable if a storm rolls through with rain.
The average highs are near 70 degrees with the lows around 40.
HIKING IN APRIL
Hiking at Arches in April is so nice because the sun is out and it’s not overly hot. This is quite different from summer when you’re sweating and worrying about heat exhaustion.
It’s important to stay hydrated and wear sunscreen!
Most of the trails at Arches are fully exposed to the sun, which is perfect for your visit in April since you aren’t really worrying about finding shade!
→ CHECK OUT Devil’s Garden Trail Guide
→ CHECK OUT 10 Amazing Hiking Trails in Arches
PHOTOGRAPHY IN APRIL
Delicate Arch at sunset is the most popular photo spot in Arches. In April, you won’t have this location to yourself so be patient waiting for everyone to take their turn to get a photo under the arch!
If you want to capture photos without people climbing on the rocks at Balanced Rock, Turret Arch or the Windows, you need to enter the park EARLY!
→ CHECK OUT: 3 Day Photography Guide for Arches National Park
→ CHECK OUT: Arches National Park Photography Tips
STARGAZING IN APRIL
Definitely take one evening to stay after the sun set and LOOK UP!
The slogan “Half the Park is After Dark” encourages visiting at night to simply Look up! On a clear night, the sky is literally filled with stars.
In April you can see the milky way from 1 to 5 -ish am. A bit early for most, but rewarding for those who want to make the effort!
Arches National Park is internationally recognized as one of the best places for stargazing because of its remote location, accessibility, altitude and clear skies.
Arches is a popular destination for astrophotographers so you won’t be alone in the park at night.
FAQ’S FOR VISITING IN APRIL
Is Arches National Park Open in April?
Arches National Park is open 24/7. Visit the NPS site to get the updated operating hours.
Is April a Good Time to Visit Arches National Park?
April is a terrific time to plan a vacation to Arches! But April is also month where people enjoy spring break trips.
So be sure to enter the park before 9 am, leave when it gets crowded, then go back in the afternoon!
What Park Activities Can You Do April?
- A good way to get to know more about Arches is to participate in ranger-led hikes and campfire talks.
- You can watch the park orientation film at Arches Visitor Center, which is open seven days a week – check the website for operating hours.
- Kids can earn a Junior Ranger badge (Junior Ranger booklet). Get more details at the visitor center.
RESOURCES TO PLAN A TRIP TO ARCHES
- Arches National Park Vacation Ideas
- Best Time to Visit Arches
- Things to Do at Arches
- Arches National Park Hiking Trails
- Arches Packing List
- Arches National Park Camping
- Where to Stay in Moab Near Arches
- Tours Near Moab, Utah