Arches National Park in April is one of the best times to visit due to the moderate temperatures.
As you plan your trip, use our Arches National Park travel guide to help you know the things to do, what to pack, where to stay and more.
In April it’s nice to be able to explore Arches all day long without worrying about the daytime heat during the summer!
Keep in mind that spring is a popular season so expect crowds! We give you tips below to navigate the park during the busy season.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
What to Pack for a Spring National Park Vacation
DOWNLOAD our US National Park checklists to make it easy to pack what you need for your next trip!
1. US National Parks Pass
You can order passes online or get them at any of these Federal Recreation Areas.
→ BUY THE PASS AT REI and they will donate 10% of sales to the National Park Foundation.
2. Hiking Gear
- Hiking shoes & boots: → Check out our FAVORITE hiking shoes/boots!
- Hiking socks: → Check out the BEST SOCKS EVER!
- Walking stick or trekking poles
3. Clothing – Layers
- WATER: → We carry water bottles or hydration backpacks
- FOOD: → Check out our favorite healthy snacks
- Flashlight: → Check out the headlamps we like
- National Park maps
- Lip protection with sunscreen
- Polarized sunglasses
- Insect repellant
- Hand lotion
- Female urination device
- Toilet paper (carry out in a bag – do not bury)
- Hand sanitizer
- First aid kit
- Bags to pack out trash
Where to Stay Near Arches:
There are no hotels in the park. Here’s our list of where to stay near Arches National Park.
Arches National Park camping can only be done at the one small campground.
We recommend the following accommodations in Moab:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Moab – we enjoyed our stay and highly recommend this hotel due to its location close to Arches.
- Purple Sage – our all-time favorite place to stay in Moab – walking distance to shopping, full kitchen, and only 8 units so you don’t feel lost in a large hotel.
- Red Cliffs Lodge – rooms up to 6 people – located 17 miles from Moab, this lodge is known for its beautiful location, winery and activities like horseback riding, fishing and more!
- Vacation Rentals – we really like rentals with a kitchen, washer and dryer and amenities like a swimming pool and hot tub.
- Rent an RV – have it dropped off at your vacation destination!
TOP REASON TO VISIT ARCHES NATIONAL PARK IN APRIL
The weather in April is a great time for visiting Arches National Park.
You’ll enjoy the cool mornings and evenings, and the daytime temperatures aren’t too hot compared to the summer.
There is not much shade to be found at Arches so it’s nice to be in the park on a sunny day when the air isn’t stifling! It makes hiking so much more enjoyable!
Arches National Park in the spring is also awesome to see the flowers that bloom during this time of year.
You may not know this, but Arches is a small Utah national park and it gets crowded during the peak seasons of spring and fall.
Arches is a popular spring break destination so expect crowds!
There will be lines to get into the park, especially on the weekends. And Arches will close when the parking lots are full, and re-open later in the day when there are open parking space.
We recommend you enter the park early or later in the afternoon!
ARCHES WEATHER IN APRIL
The weather at Arches National Park in April is “just right” with cooler mornings and evenings, and daytime temperatures are still moderate.
Keep in mind the weather can be unpredictable if a storm rolls through with rain.
The average highs are near 70 degrees with the lows around 40.
HIKING IN APRIL
Arches National Park hiking trails are enjoyable in April because when the sun is out, it’s not overly hot.
This is quite different from summer when you’re sweating and worrying about heat exhaustion.
Most of the trails at Arches are fully exposed to the sun, which is perfect for your visit in April since you aren’t really worrying about finding shade!
→ CHECK OUT Devil’s Garden Trail Guide
PHOTOGRAPHY IN APRIL
Arches National Park photography in April is so rewarding.
CHECK OUT our 3 day Arches & Canyonlands Itinerary and Photography Guide to capitalize on all the best places and times to take pictures in the park!
Delicate Arch at sunset is the most popular photo spot in Arches. In April, you won’t have this location to yourself so be patient waiting for everyone to take their turn to get a photo under the arch!
If you want to capture photos without people climbing on the rocks at Balanced Rock, Turret Arch or the Windows, you need to enter the park EARLY!
STARGAZING IN APRIL
Definitely take one evening to stay after the sun set and LOOK UP!
The slogan “Half the Park is After Dark” encourages visiting at night to simply Look up! On a clear night, the sky is literally filled with stars.
In April you can see the milky way from 1 to 5 -ish am. A bit early for most, but rewarding for those who want to make the effort!
Arches National Park is internationally recognized as one of the best places for stargazing because of its remote location, accessibility, altitude and clear skies.
Arches is a popular destination for astrophotographers so you won’t be alone in the park at night.
FAQ’S FOR VISITING IN APRIL
Is Arches National Park Open in April?
Arches National Park is open 24/7. Visit the NPS site to get the updated operating hours.
Is April a Good Time to Visit Arches National Park?
April is a terrific time for visiting Arches National Park! But April is also month where people enjoy spring break trips.
If you want to avoid the crowds, check out our resource listing the best time to visit Arches National Park. It includes information about what to expect during each season and every month of the year.
What Park Activities Can You Do April?
- A good way to get to know more about Arches is to participate in ranger-led hikes and campfire talks.
- You can watch the park orientation film at Arches Visitor Center, which is open seven days a week – check the website for operating hours.
- Kids can earn a Junior Ranger badge (Junior Ranger booklet). Get more details at the visitor center.
RESOURCES TO PLAN A TRIP TO ARCHES
- Arches National Park Travel Guide
- Arches National Park Vacation Ideas
- Best Time to Visit Arches National Park
- Things to Do at Arches National Park
- Arches National Park Hiking Trails
- Arches National Park Packing List
- Arches National Park Camping
- Where to Stay Near Arches National Park
- Tours Near Moab, Utah