When you’re just learning about landscape photography, using basic photography techniques is so important.
These landscape photography examples beautifully illustrate a variety of compositional techniques.
If you’re wondering what the best cameras for landscape photography are, keep in mind you can take fantastic photos with DSLR cameras, point-and-shoot cameras, and even your camera phone!
The important thing is to understand and use the composition techniques to capture the scene that provides interest and draws the viewer in to the image.
Keep reading to see examples of landscape photos and the various techniques used to capture the scene. This will help you as you go out to take your own landscape photos.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
CAMERA GEAR FOR LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY
DOWNLOAD: Camera Gear Checklist
- Camera: check out the compact travel cameras we recommend!
- Tripod: take a look at these compact and lightweight travel tripods!
- Camera Bag: protect your camera from sand and water → We use Lowepro camera backpacks for outdoor photography.
- Neutral density filter: to compensate for variance of light you’ll need to use a neutral density filter. → Check out the Kase magnetic filters we use!
- Camera cleaning kit: remove dust or water that WILL get on your lens. NOTE: this is not for cleaning the sensor.
- Memory cards: purchase name brand memory cards since you’re trusting your images to the card! → We use Lexar and Sandisk!
- External hard drive: copy photos to a portable external hard drive ‘just in case’.
- Headlamp: use when taking sunrise and sunset photos!
What is Landscape Photography?
A brief definition of landscape photography is a genre of photography that captures natural landscapes: land, sky and water.
Photography of farm fields, orchards, and gardens may be considered landscape photography as well.
Even the presence of buildings, roads, bridges or sculptures may be included in the landscape scene.
AMAZON Landscape Photography Books:
Landscape Photography Examples
Take a look at these images of landscapes shared by members of our Facebook Group, Your Photography Journey.
We’ll note various techniques used to capture the landscape scenes that might help you as you go out to take your own landscape photos.
Were you inspired by these photos?
Every week in our Facebook group (Your Photography Journey), we have a challenge that focuses on an element of composition. Understanding these simple elements will help you improve your photography skills!
→ DOWNLOAD our 52 Week Photography Challenge List!
We also do live video Photo Reviews each week to discuss compositional elements on the photos group members want us to review, similar to the video we included in this article.