If you’re looking for basic photography techniques to improve your travel and landscape photography, you’ve come to the right place!
We’re sharing our list of landscape photography techniques, travel photography resources, travel photography gear and more to help you grow as a photographer!
Take your photography to the next level by understanding and using the basic photography and composition techniques listed below!
For us, travel + photography go hand in hand so we use our camera gear checklist to make sure all the equipment is packed before embarking on any adventure.
This site contains affiliate links which means WE may receive commissions for purchases made through these links. We only provide links to products we actually use and/or wholeheartedly recommend! As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full Disclosure Policy.
We asked fellow photographers to share their story of how photography helped them through a difficult time, or how it helps them today.
Read all about their stories and the benefits of photography on mental health!
List of Basic Photography Techniques
It’s important to understand the concepts to use when composing your photo. Knowing the basics of composition will improve your pictures dramatically!
- BLUE HOUR: Using Blue Hour and Golden Hour Photography
- FILL THE FRAME: Fill the Frame Photography Technique
- FOREGROUND, MIDGROUND, BACKGROUND: Using Foreground, Middleground, Background in Landscape Photography
- FRAMING: How to Use Framing in Photography
- HORIZON LINE: Why Horizon Line is Important for Landscape Photography
- LEADING LINES: How to Use Leading Lines in Photography
- PERSPECTIVE: Using Perspective in Photography
- RULE OF THIRDS: Using Rule of Thirds to Take Better Landscape Photos
Landscape Photography Ideas
Take a look at these photo ideas to illustrate a variety of techniques for landscape and nature photography.
Read the articles and watch the videos as we discuss each photo and how it uses the concepts.
- ABSTRACT: Abstract Photography Ideas
- BALANCE: Landscape Photography Ideas Using Balance
- BLACK AND WHITE: Black and White Photography Ideas
- BLUE HOUR & GOLDEN HOUR: Blue Hour & Golden Hour Photo Ideas
- BOKEH: Bokeh Photography Ideas
- COLOR: Photography Ideas Using Color
- CONTRAST: Contrast in Photography
- EYES: Photographing Eyes
- FILL THE FRAME: Fill the Frame Photo Ideas
- FOREGROUND, MIDGROUND, BACKGROUND: Foreground, Midground, Background Photography Ideas
- FRAMING: Framing Photo Ideas
- HORIZON LINE: Horizon Line Photography Ideas
- LANDSCAPE: Landscape Photography Examples
- LAYERS: Landscape Photography Ideas Using Layers
- LEADING LINES: Leading Lines Photo Ideas
- MOOD: Using Mood in Photography
- MOVEMENT: Movement Photography Ideas
- NEGATIVE SPACE: Negative Space Photography Ideas
- PART OF THE WHOLE: Part of the Whole Photo Ideas
- PATTERNS: Patterns Photo Ideas
- PERSPECTIVE: Perspective Photo Ideas
- REFLECTIONS: Reflection Photography Ideas
- RULE OF ODDS: Rule of Odds Photography Ideas
- RULE OF THIRDS: Rule of Thirds Photo Ideas
- SEASONS: Seasons Photo Ideas
- SUBJECT: Subject Photography Ideas
- SUNRISE: Sunrise Photo Ideas
- SUNSET: Sunset Photo Ideas
- TELL A STORY: Tell a Story Photography Ideas
- TREES: Photograph Trees
- WATER: Photographing Water
- WEATHER: Weather Photo Ideas
- WIDE ANGLE / PANORAMA: Wide Angle and Panorama Photo Ideas
- WILDLIFE / PETS: Wildlife & Pets Photo Ideas
Photography Tips, Tutorials, and Ideas
Use the ‘how to’ photography tutorials to capturing stunning images of nature and the landscape scenes you see as you travel.
- GLOWING MUSHROOMS: How to Photograph Glowing Mushrooms
- REFLECTIONS: How to Photograph Reflections to Create Stunning Images
- SUNRISE: Sunrise Photography: Tips to Get Beautiful Sunrise Photos
- SUNSET: Sunset Photography: Tips to Get Amazing Sunset Photos
- WATERFALLS & RIVERS: How to Photograph Waterfalls and Rivers
The number one way to improve your photography is to practice! Photography challenges provide a subject or technique to find and photograph. The challenge exercise helps boost your creativity and skills! Here are a few photo challenges to help you get out an practice! We also share fun ways to get the kids involved in photography!
- 52 Week Photography Challenge
- Photo Scavenger Hunt, Activities & Games
- 4 Seasons Photo Scavenger Hunt for Kids
- National Park Photo Scavenger Hunt
- Spring Photo Challenge
- Summer Photo Challenge
- Fall Photo Challenge
- Winter Photo Challenge
Landscape Photography Gear Resources
- FREE DOWNLOAD: Camera Gear Checklist
- Best Cameras for Landscape Photography
- Best Lightweight Travel Tripods
- Camera Accessories for Photography