If you’re an aspiring photographer or just someone who loves to take photos, why not challenge yourself and try something new? Here are some photography challenge ideas to push your creativity and hone your skills.
Photography challenges can be an engaging activity for both adults and kids. For adults, there are challenge ideas that encourage you to photograph a subject theme or use a basic photography technique.
For kids, photography challenges can be a great way to help them develop their creative skills, while also having fun. Photo scavenger hunts are a great way for kids to find subjects to photograph.
Remember, the best way to improve your photography skills is to practice, practice, practice! Photography challenges are a great way to boost creativity and provide ways to practice to help you improve your photography skills.
This site contains affiliate links which means WE may receive commissions for purchases made through these links. We only provide links to products we actually use and/or wholeheartedly recommend! As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full Disclosure Policy.
Photography Challenge Ideas
Here’s a list of photography challenges to improve your skills. Remember that practice makes perfect! Don’t be afraid to try something new and make mistakes – it’s the best way to learn.
And don’t forget to have fun! With patience and dedication, your photography skills will improve in no time.
52 Week Photography Challenge List
This list includes 52 photography-themed challenges to work on each week of the year. Each challenge focuses on a single photography photography concept or subject.
These weekly challenges are perfect for beginner and intermediate photographers alike, as they allow you to explore different concepts in an organized way.
Tips to Improve Your Photography
In order to find out what type of photography you truly love, you must capture images of many things: people, landscape, architecture, food, dogs, cats, birds, rivers, waterfalls….
Set a goal to find those things you LOVE to PHOTOGRAPH!
The best way to learn photography and improve your skills – shoot, shoot and shoot some more!
You can read and watch tutorials, but until you put the information you have accumulated into motion, you aren’t going to learn a thing!
- Photography Composition Ideas Video Series
- Lightroom Tips Video Series
- Online Beginner Photography Courses
- 52 Week Photography Challenge List
- Digital Photography School Courses & EBooks
Photography should be FUN! If you are photographing the things you LOVE, it will be!
Camera Gear for Landscape Photography
- Tripod: take a look at these compact and lightweight travel tripods!
- Camera Bag: protect your camera from sand and water → We use Lowepro camera backpacks for outdoor photography.
- Neutral density filter: to compensate for variance of light you’ll need to use a neutral density filter. → Check out the Kase magnetic filters we use!
- Camera cleaning kit: remove dust or water that WILL get on your lens. NOTE: this is not for cleaning the sensor.
- Memory cards: purchase name brand memory cards since you’re trusting your images to the card! → We use Lexar and Sandisk!
- External hard drive: copy photos to a portable external hard drive ‘just in case’.
- Headlamp: use when taking sunrise and sunset photos!
Photo Challenge Lists
Use this list of Photography Challenge Ideas to have fun exploring new places, taking pictures from different angles and perspectives, and capturing memories along the way.
Who knows – maybe you’ll even discover something about yourself while on this journey!
AMAZON Landscape Photography Books: