If you’re looking for US travel ideas during the spring, be sure to add the Southwest to your list.
We’ve put together a great list of ideas to help you plan a spring vacation in the Southwest USA.
You’ll see amazing landscapes and history with these US Southwest vacation ideas!
The American Southwest is a region filled with unique landscapes to explore and photograph, as well as cultural attractions to learn about the history of the region.
During the spring, the temperatures are pretty much perfect for hiking in Arizona, New Mexico, Southern Utah and Southern Colorado.
You’ll find so many ideas of things to do in the spring in the US Southwest that it will be hard deciding what NOT to add to your bucket list!
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
Best Times to Visit the US Southwest
This article is all about visiting the Southwest in the spring. But we always recommend you research is what it’s like visiting specific destination at various times during the year to decide when it’s the best time for YOU to go!
- Best Time to Visit Arizona
- Best Time to Visit Colorado
- Best Time to Visit Nevada
- Best Time to Visit New Mexico
- Best Time to Visit Utah
- Best Time to Visit Utah National Parks
Spring and fall vacations in the Southwest USA are the most popular times for because the temperatures are best for outdoor activities, but they are also the most crowded times as well.
Summer vacations in the Southwest will be HOT – it’s not our favorite time to visit.
We prefer winter Southwest vacations to avoid the crowds and heat. Yes, some locations will be cold with possible rain and snow storms occurring any time, but we pack for the weather and know we need to be flexible!
USA AUDIO TOURS (GyPSy Guide)
“Download the app to your phone – no cell or wifi service needed. Based on your GPS location, the app takes you on a guided tour of the area and points out all the interesting features and stops. It’s like having a guide in the car with you.”
Activities To Do in the American Southwest
Check out all the activities, tours, and things to photograph in the US Southwest.
Road Trips in the Southwest USA
If you’re looking for the best way to explore the states in the Southwest, we recommend planning a road trip!
- American Southwest Road Trip Guide
- Southwest USA Road Trip
- Route 66 Roadside Attractions
- Utah National Park Road Trip Itinerary
Scenic Drives in the American Southwest
You’ll find beautiful scenic drives at various National Parks and other locations in the US Southwest.
- Arches National Park Scenic Drive
- Bryce Canyon Scenic Drive
- Canyonlands Island in the Sky Scenic Drive
- Capitol Reef Scenic Drive
- Zion National Park Scenic Drives
- Best Stops Along Scenic Byway 12
US Southwest Hiking Trails
Hiking in the Southwest is the best way to really see the spectacular landscapes up close!
- Arches National Park Hiking Trails
- Bryce Canyon Hikes
- Canyonlands Hikes
- Capitol Reef Hikes
- Zion National Park Hikes
- Sedona, Arizona Hiking Trails
Photographing the American Southwest
The states in the US Southwest feature landscapes with arches, balanced rocks, hoodoos, and river-carved canyons that provide stunning photographic opportunities.
- Arches National Park Photography
- Bryce Canyon Photo Spots
- Canyonlands National Park Photography
- Capitol Reef National Park Photography
- Zion National Park Photography
- Guide to Moab, Utah Photography
- Guide to Kanab, Utah Photography
Ideas To Plan A Spring Vacation in the Southwest USA
For this article, we’re sharing information about visiting these five Southwest US states in the spring: Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah.
Arizona Spring Vacation Ideas
Spring is an amazing time to explore the hiking trails in Arizona. You’ll see desert spires, river canyons, and mazes of red rock formations in Arizona… without the heat of summer! Here are a list of places to visit and things to do in the spring in Arizona.
- Grand Canyon in the Spring
- Antelope Canyon
- Horseshoe Bend
- Monument Valley in the Spring
- Sedona in the Spring
Arizona Spring Tours
- Antelope Canyon Tours
- Grand Canyon Tours: Helicopter Tours, Grand Canyon Railway
- Sedona Tours: Jeep and ATV Tours, E-bike Tours
Colorado Spring Vacation Ideas
You’ll enjoy learning about the native history of this region in the southern part of Colorado. Here are a list of places to visit and things to do in the spring in Colorado.
- Mesa Verde National Park in the Spring
- The Great Sand Dunes in the Spring
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison
- Garden of the Gods
- Colorado Tours: Jeep Tours, Zipline Tours
Nevada Spring Vacation Ideas
The spring months in southern Nevada are amazing to enjoy outdoor activities. There are plenty of things to do in Nevada during the spring months:
- Nevada Tours: Jeep and ATV Tours, Helicopter Tours, Hoover Dam Tour
New Mexico Spring Vacation Ideas
You can’t beat New Mexico in the spring when the weather is so amazing! There are plenty of things to do in New Mexico in the spring:
- White Sands National Park
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Chaco Culture National Historical Park
- Bandelier National Monument Hike
- Petroglyph National Monument
- Southern New Mexico Road Trip
New Mexico Tours
Utah Spring Vacation Ideas
Spring is one of the best times to explore and photograph the landscape in Southern Utah: arches, hoodoos, balanced rocks, and red rock canyons! There are plenty of places to visit and things to do in Southern Utah during the spring:
- Spring Break in Utah
- Utah Spring Break Ideas
- Arches National Park in the Spring
- Bryce Canyon National Park in the Spring
- Canyonlands National Park in the Spring
- Capitol Reef National Park in the Spring
- Zion National Park in the Spring
- List of Utah State Parks
- Moab in the Spring
Use these travel guides, itineraries, and tour ideas to plan the perfect itinerary to explore the area!