US Southwest Vacation Ideas
The US southwest is an amazing place to visit. When looking for US travel ideas, we highly recommend exploring the southwest on a road trip!
We have put together a list of US Southwest vacation ideas so various locations, resources and tips are all in one place to make it easier to decide where to go, when to go and what to do.
The American Southwest is filled with fun towns, cities, landscapes and history of the country.
There are resources below that include travel guides, packing checklists, travel tips and more to plan your trip to the Southwest USA!
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
Southwest USA Vacations and Road Trips
Use the vacation ideas and guides below to plan your Southwest USA trip. We’ve included multi-day itineraries we recommend for making the most of exploring the area!
- 8 Day American Southwest Road Trip Guide
- 55 Southwest USA Road Trip Ideas
- 10 Days in the American Southwest
- Family Vacation Ideas in the Southwest US
- US Southwest National Parks
- Utah National Park Road Trip Itinerary
Things to Do in the US Southwest
Here’s a list of things to do, see and photograph in the US Southwest. Explore the various points of interest by driving, hiking or biking. And don’t forget to learn about all the best photo spots.
Scenic Drives in the American Southwest
- Arches National Park Scenic Drive
- Bryce Canyon Scenic Drive
- Canyonlands Island in the Sky Scenic Drive
- Capitol Reef Scenic Drive
- Zion National Park Scenic Drives
- Best Stops Along Scenic Byway 12
US Southwest Hiking Trails
- Arches National Park Hiking Trails
- Bryce Canyon Hikes
- Canyonlands Hikes
- Capitol Reef Hikes
- Zion National Park Hikes
- Sedona, Arizona Hiking Trails
Photographing the American Southwest
- Arches National Park Photography
- Bryce Canyon Photo Spots
- Canyonlands National Park Photography
- Capitol Reef National Park Photography
- Zion National Park Photography
- Guide to Moab, Utah Photography
- Guide to Kanab, Utah Photography
National Parks in the US Southwest
The landscape of the national parks in the southwest are unique and stunning. There is so much to see, do and photograph at each park! We have created a list of helpful resources like travel guides, packing checklists, tips and more to help you decide which US national parks to visit on your American southwest trip!
- Southwest National Parks
- Southwest National Parks in the Spring
- US Southwest National Parks in the Summer
Southwest USA National Park Guides
- Utah National Parks
- Arches National Park travel guide
- Bryce Canyon travel guide
- Canyonlands National Park guide
- Capitol Reef National Park guide
- Zion National Park travel guide
US Southwest Ideas by Season
There are important things to know about traveling in the Southwest at various times of the year. Use these resources if you’re looking for ideas on the best times to this area and things to do during each season.
- Spring Vacation in the Southwest USA
- Summer Vacations in the Southwest
- Fall Vacation in the Southwest USA
- Fall Colors in the Southwest
- Winter Vacation in the Southwest USA
Best Times to Visit the US Southwest States
Do your research to know what it’s like visiting a specific destination at various times during the year to decide when it’s the best time for YOU to go!
- Best Time to Visit Arizona
- Best Time to Visit Colorado
- Best Time to Visit Nevada
- Best Time to Visit New Mexico
- Best Time to Visit Utah
- Best Time to Visit Utah National Parks
Tips and Resources for Visiting the Southwest
Helpful resources for what to pack, road trip tips, healthy snacks to eat, and more. Many of these checklists you can download and print!
- Family Road Trip Items to Pack
- Healthy Road Trip Snacks
- National Park Packing Lists for Summer & Winter
- Is the US National Park Pass a Good Deal?
- Holiday Road Trips with Kids
- Rent an RV – have it dropped off at your vacation destination!