Use our Capitol Reef National Park guide to help you plan the most amazing vacation!
If you’re looking for US National Park vacation ideas, keep reading to find out all there is to know about visiting Capitol Reef.
Below you’ll find tips and resources to plan your trip to Capitol Reef: best time to visit, things to do, hiking trails, scenic drives, and photography spots.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
Capitol Reef National Park Packing List
→ DOWNLOAD: Capitol Reef National park packing lists
- Merrell Moab hiking shoes or Oboz hiking shoes
- Darn Tough hiking socks
- Water – carry a hydration pack or a refillable water bottle in your backpack
- Healthy food that’s portable and filling!
- Columbia fleece jacket
- Wicking, quick-drying clothing
- Lip balm with UV protection
- Sun protection – sunscreen (even in the winter) and a sunhat
- UV sunglasses are good for summer and winter
- Travel hand sanitizer
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Capitol Reef travel guides and maps
- First aid kit
- Insect repellent
- Camera gear – DOWNLOAD the free checklist!
When Is the Best Time to Visit Capitol Reef
There are important things to know about visiting Capitol Reef during the different seasons of the year. You’ll need to be aware of the road conditions and closures. And there are times of the year when Capitol Reef services are closed. Check out these articles to know all about planning a trip during a specific season or month so you know in advance what to expect.
- Best Time to Visit Capitol Reef National Park
- Capitol Reef National Park in the Spring
- Capitol Reef National Park in the Summer
- Capitol Reef National Park in the Fall
- Capitol Reef National Park in the Winter
Visiting Capitol Reef by Month
- Capitol Reef National Park in January
- Capitol Reef National Park in February
- Capitol Reef in March
- Capitol Reef National Park in April
- Capitol Reef National Park in May
- Capitol Reef National Park in June
- Capitol Reef in July
- Capitol Reef in August
- Capitol Reef National Park in October
- Capitol Reef National Park in November
- Capitol Reef National Park in December
Attractions and Things to Do at Capitol Reef
Here’s a list of things to do, see and photograph at Capitol Reef. You can plan your own itinerary to see the attractions in the park, or you can find a fun tour to explore the points of interest.