There are all types of lodging in and near Moab from budget-friendly hotels to higher-prices resorts. You’ll also find vacation rentals, a hostel, campgrounds and RV parks.
There are no hotels in Arches or Canyonlands, only campgrounds, so most people stay in Moab. The town also has a variety of restaurants and places to shop which add to the appeal to find accommodations in Moab.
Since we visit and stay in the Moab area many times each year, we wrote this guide to help you find the best Moab lodging as you plan your trip. The places listed will be in location order from the north end of Moab (close the national park entrances) to the south end of town.
This guide is based on our personal experience of staying in Moab, feedback from friends and customer reviews on various websites about location, amenities, and price. All opinions are solely our own. We were not sponsored by any accommodations we list here. We do make a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you book using links in this post. Read the full Disclosure Policy.
BEST PLACES TO STAY IN MOAB, UTAH NEAR THE PARKS
Moab is about 5 miles from the entrance to Arches and about 30 miles from the entrance to Canyonlands.
If it’s important to be close to the entrance of these parks, then these are the best Moab accommodations.
Hotels Near Arches and Canyonlands National Parks
• Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Moab – our friend’s pick for families
• Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Moab – we enjoyed our stay and highly recommend this hotel due to its location
TIP: If you’re visiting Arches or Canyonlands in the summer when it’s hot, we suggest you visit the national parks in the morning and evening to avoid the crowds and heat. Spend time in the swimming pool at your hotel during the warmest hours of the day. You’ll want to choose one of the hotels that are near Arches and Canyonlands to make it easier to commute back and forth during the day.
You can use your national park pass or entrance ticket to enter the park as many times as you want during the day.
Campgrounds Near Arches and Canyonlands Island in the Sky
Arches National Park Camping – Devil’s Garden is the only place to camp in the park. There are 51 campsites, which you can reserve in advance.
Canyonlands Camping – Willow Flat Campground is open year round. It’s first-come, first-served near the Green River overlook. There are 12 sites with picnic tables and fire rings. Please Note: There is no water at this campground.
Dead Horse Point Camping – Kayenta Campground at Dead Horse Point State Park offers 21 sites with lighted shade structures, picnic tables, fire rings, and tent pads. All sites also have RV electrical hookups, and modern restroom facilities are available. There are also 3 yurts available at Dead Horse Point. Each one offers sleeping space for up to six people, an outdoor propane grill, and comfortable seating indoors and out. Heat, air conditioning, and electrical outlets are also available.
Camping along Highway 313 – Lone Mesa, Horsethief and Cowboy Camp are first-come, first-served and may accommodate tents, trailer, and RV’s. READ the BLM guidelines for camping here.
• Archview RV Resort & Campground – terrific location close to the park and not far from Moab
MOAB ACCOMMODATIONS IN TOWN
If you want to experience the vibe of Moab, then stay close to the city center. You’ll be within walking distance of yummy places to eat and fun places to shop.
Places to Stay in Moab Near Restaurants and Shopping
• Kokopelli Lodgings – we enjoyed the Kokopelli Lodge that’s right in town
• Purple Sage – our all-time favorite place to stay in Moab
• Moab Flats – we haven’t stayed here, but it’s just a bit down the street from Purple Sage and it would be our second choice
BEST MOAB LODGING FOR FAMILIES
There are many lodgings options for families to stay in Moab. We created a list of Moab hotels and vacation rentals based on the following:
- family rooms for up to 5-6 (or more) people
- swimming pool
- customer ratings of 8+.
We are listing them based on location, with those closest to the national parks first.
Moab Hotels for Families
• SpringHill Suites by Marriott Moab – family rooms up to 8 people – our friends raved about the outdoor pool area for their kids
• Aarchway Inn – family rooms up to 6 people
• Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Moab – rooms up to 6 people
• Hampton Inn Moab – rooms up to 5 people
• Homewood Suites by Hilton Moab – family rooms up to 10 people and an indoor swimming pool
• Red Cliffs Lodge – rooms up to 6 people – located 17 miles from Moab, this lodge is known for its beautiful location, winery and activities like horseback riding, fishing and more!
• Sorrel River Ranch Resort & Spa – options for big families up to 12 people – located 20 miles from Moab, this resort is located along the Colorado River with amenities like a spa, equestrian center, tennis courts and more!
Moab Vacation Rentals for Families
Did you know you can create a search on Airbnb for places to stay when you travel with family?
To search for a home:
- Click or tap the Trip type (you may need to click Other filters)
- Select For families
You’ll see homes that have:
- A 4.75+/5 average rating from guests
- 5-star reviews from other families
- Family-friendly amenities, such as kitchen, wifi or internet, and a TV
- House Rules that are suitable for infants and children
If you don’t mind a 5 minute drive south of Moab, these condos are so nice. We really like the King size bed in the master, ample space for families, washer and dryer in the unit and a swimming pool/hot tub.
BEST BUDGET LODGING IN MOAB
The best prices for accommodation in Moab will be during the off-season winter months. If you’ll be visiting during the busy season, you can still find budget lodging options in Moab.
Our criteria for these budget hotels and cabins: free breakfast or kitchenette – or at least a small fridge and microwave.
TIP: It’s amazing the cheap meals you can make with only a microwave! Eating meals in is one of the best budget tips for travel.
Budget-friendly Hotels and Cabins in Moab
• Archview RV Resort & Campground – cabins with kitchenette
• Moab Valley RV Resort & Campground – cabins with kitchenette
• Motel 6 – free breakfast
• Super 8 by Wyndham – free breakfast
• Moab Gateway Inn – free breakfast
• River Canyon Lodge – some with kitchenettes
• Moab Red Stone Inn – kitchenette
• Silver Sage Inn – fridge and microwave
• Lazy Lizard Hostel – kitchen
• Moab Rim Campark – cabins with kitchenette
TIP: Check to see if bedding and towels are provided at the cabins at these campgrounds. The cost savings may not be worth the hassle, or you may not have the room, to pack sheets or sleeping bags and towels. We’ve stayed in cabins at Archview and Moab Rim Campark, but we live fairly close to Moab so it wasn’t inconvenient to pack sheets and towels.
Campgrounds, RV Resorts and Camping near Moab
Best Moab RV Resorts and Campgrounds
Camping Near Moab
Primitive Camping On Public Lands Near Moab
There is no primitive camping within 20 miles from Moab. Camping is restricted to limited designated sites in the areas shown on the map below, marked with a brown post and a tent symbol.
These designated sites are free, but no facilities are provided. Campers are required to carry out all garbage, including solid human waste and toilet paper. There is no wood cutting or collection allowed. No new fire rings are allowed.
All campers are required to possess, set-up and use portable toilets or approved human waste bags. Campers may not bury or leave solid human body waste and toilet paper. The disposal of solid human waste off public land is required.
If you have any questions about primitive camping restrictions please contact the Moab BLM Office at (435) 259-2100.