Is hiking a top activity when you plan a US vacation? If so, then keep reading!
We have put together a list of US hiking ideas that include various locations around the country, hiking tips and gear checklists.
All of this information about hiking is all in one place to make it easier to decide where to go, when to go and what to pack!
The resources below include hiking guides, packing checklists, hiking tips and more to plan your next outdoor adventure!
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
WHAT TO PACK FOR A DAY HIKE
FREE DOWNLOAD: Day Hike Packing List
- Hiking shoes – we like Merrell Moab hiking shoes and Oboz hiking shoes
- Hiking socks – we always wear Darn Tough socks – they’re the BEST!
- Lots of Water – carry a hydration pack or a refillable water bottle in your backpack
- Healthy food that’s portable and filling!
- Lip balm with UV protection
- Sunscreen is important in the summer and winter!
- Travel hand sanitizer
- Flashlight or headlamp
- UV sunglasses are good for summer and winter
- First aid kit
- Insect repellent – bug bites are no fun!
- Camera gear – DOWNLOAD the free checklist!
Check out our hiking gear list and tips for a day hike with kids!
US Southwest Hikes
Use the lists below for hiking trails in the Southwest USA. There are day hikes, multi-day hikes, backing trails and more! Each state has amazing trails from easy to strenuous to explore these outdoor destinations.
- Arizona: Top 25 Hikes
- Arizona: Winter Day Hikes
- California: Orange County Hikes
- California: Best Day Hikes
- Colorado: Day Hikes Near Denver
- Colorado: Top 10 Hikes
- Nevada: Top Hiking Trails
- Nevada: List of Hikes
- New Mexico: 15 Hiking Trails
- New Mexico: Hiking Trails List
- Utah: Dead Horse Point Hikes
- Utah: Lower Calf Creek Falls Hike
- Utah: Moab Hikes
US National Park Hiking Trails
Here’s a list of hikes at US National Parks around the country. One of the best ways to experience a national park is getting away from the road and exploring the trails.
- Best Hike in Every National Park
- National Park Hiking Trails
- Day Hikes at US National Parks
- Summer Hikes at US National Parks
- Best Fall Hikes at US National Parks
- Arches National Park Hiking Trails
- Bryce Canyon Hikes
- Canyonlands Hikes
- Capitol Reef Hikes
- Grand Teton Day Hikes
- Zion National Park Hikes
- Zion Hikes Without the Shuttle
US Hiking Trails by Season
There are important things to know about hiking in the US at various times of the year. Use these resources if you’re looking for the best hikes during each season.
- Spring Hiking Ideas in the US
- Summer Hikes in the US
- Fall Hikes in the US
- Fall Hikes at US National Parks
- Winter Hiking Trails
Tips and Resources for Hiking
Helpful resources for hiking gear, photography gear, hiking tips, and more. Many of these checklists you can download and print!