If you plan to visit Arches National Park, you’ll need to know what to pack.
The climate and altitude in southeast Utah can be harsh if you’re not prepared with the right clothing, hydration, food, personal items and hiking gear.
We are lucky to live close enough to visit the park at various times of the year so we have a good understanding of what should be on your Arches National Park Packing List!
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
ARCHES NATIONAL PARK PACKING LIST
The first thing on any packing list when you are visiting national parks in the US: National Parks Pass!
The America the Beautiful Annual Pass costs $80 and is valid for one year from the date of purchase. For the most current information on passes, reference the National Park Service website.
The pass allows two signatures so it can be shared, and the two people don’t have to be related. You will need to show photo ID each time you use the pass.
Order passes online or get them at any of these Federal Recreation Areas.
We like to BUY THE PASS AT REI because we can get it right away… and they will donate 10% of sales to the National Park Foundation.
Why the US National Park Pass is a good deal!
Hiking Gear for Arches National Park
Don’t overlook the important of sturdy hiking shoes when visiting Arches National Park. Sneakers and sandals aren’t the best when walking on the slickrock at Arches.
• HIKING SHOES – our favorite are Merrell Moab hiking shoes of course!
• WINTER BOOTS – you’ll want Insulated boots for winter hiking – there won’t be much snow, but it will be cold!
• HIKING SOCKS – Darn Tough socks are the BEST socks ever – really!
Clothing to Wear at Arches National Park
Wicking is important for any clothing that touches skin. The awesome thing about wicking fabric is it pulls moisture (sweat) away from you and moves it to the fabric’s outer surface, where it can dry quickly.
This type of clothing lets you break a sweat without feeling clammy or chilled, and it’s perfect for the desert climate found at Arches.
It’s all about the LAYERS when doing outdoor activity.
• FLEECE JACKET is a staple clothing item for outdoor adventure!
• WINTER HAT – insulating hat
Daypack Items for Arches National Park
Hydration at Arches is so important due to the climate and altitude in the southeastern part of Utah.
READ: Hydration Basics by REI
• Lip balm – you’ll feel the dry air at Arches!
• Hand lotion – your skin will be happy!
• Disposable urination device & feminie hygiene products
• Bags to pack out trash
Other Items to Pack for an Arches Vacation
• Cell phone
• Blister balm – you won’t need this if you wear Darn Tough socks (just sayin’)
Camera Equipment to Pack for a Trip to Arches
The photos you’ll take at Arches National Park will be unlike any others! Make sure you have all the camera gear necessary to capture the stunning landscape beauty of Arches!
• Extra batteries
RESOURCES TO PLAN A TRIP TO ARCHES
Where to Stay near Arches:
READ OUR FULL GUIDE: Places to stay near Arches National Park in Moab
• Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Moab – we enjoyed our stay and highly recommend this hotel due to its location
• Red Cliffs Lodge – rooms up to 6 people – located 17 miles from Moab, this lodge is known for its beautiful location, winery and activities like horseback riding, fishing and more!
• Condos south of town – we really like the King size bed in the master, washer and dryer in the unit and a swimming pool/hot tub (just a 5 minute drive south of Moab)
CLICK TO PIN FOR LATER