It’s all about the weather when deciding the best time of year to plan a vacation. This article details the Canyonlands National Park weather you can expect each season and month of the year.
Use this Canyonlands National Park guide to know the expected temperatures and weather, services available, things to do, what to pack, and where to stay during the year.
Do your research to know what it’s like visiting Canyonlands National Park at various times of year so you can decide which season and month is best for you to plan your vacation to this stunning park!
FREE DOWNLOAD: Canyonlands Packing Lists
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
A Photo Tour of Canyonlands National Park
Take a visual tour through Canyonlands National Park and adjacent Dead Horse Point State Park to see the stunning landscapes you’ll see when you visit!
Visiting Canyonlands National Park
Most of the year you’ll enjoy fun outdoor things to Do at Canyonlands National Park like scenic drives, hiking, biking, and photography. During the winter, the activities may be a bit more limited due to cold or snowy conditions!
When planning a Utah National Park vacation it’s important to be up-to-date with current weather and road conditions!
Use these resources to plan your trip to Canyonlands vacation:
- Canyonlands National Park guide
- Things to do at Canyonlands Island in the Sky
- Things to Do at Needles Canyonlands
Arches & Canyonlands AUDIO TOUR
“Download the app to your phone – no cell or wifi service needed. Based on your GPS location, the app takes you on a guided tour of the park and points out all the interesting features and stops. It’s like having a park ranger in the car with you.”
Canyonlands National Park Weather
If you’re wondering the best time to visit Canyonlands National Park, below you’ll find specific information about what it’s like at different seasons and months of the year to help you decide. You’ll also find links to different articles we’ve written about each season or month specifically: weather, services, and things to do that time of year.
Spring Weather at Canyonlands
Springtime at Canyonlands varies quite a bit from month to month. When visiting Canyonlands National Park in the spring, it’s important to pack for all types of weather because you never know when the weather will change.
- Canyonlands in March: Highs 59 | Lows 30 degrees F
- Canyonlands in April: Highs 67 | Lows 37 degrees F
- Canyonlands in May: Highs 78 | Lows 46 degrees F
Spring is a wonderful time for Canyonlands National Park photography! It’s also a busy time so expect crowds!
Summer Weather at Canyonlands
At Canyonlands National Park in the summer the temperatures will be HOT! Since the temperatures are brutal this time of year, plan your outdoor activities for the cooler mornings and evenings!
- Canyonlands in June: Highs 93 | Lows 60 degrees F
- Canyonlands in July: Highs 100 | Lows 67 degrees F
- Canyonlands in August: Highs 97 | Lows 66 degrees F
With the hot summer temperatures, you’ll want to protect yourself from the sun by wearing a sun hat, sunscreen and sunglasses. It’s important to stay hydrated and carry a hydration pack or a refillable water bottle in your backpack.
Summer is a great time to enjoy the AC as you explore the Island in the Sky Scenic Drive!
Fall Weather at Canyonlands
The weather at Canyonlands National Park in the fall starts to cool down making it a great time to explore the park because it will be cool in the mornings and evenings, and the daytime temperatures aren’t too hot compared to the summer.
- Canyonlands in September: Highs 84 | Lows 51 degrees F
- Canyonlands in October: Highs 70 | Lows upper 30 degrees F
- Canyonlands in November: Highs 55 | Lows high 20 degrees F
There is not much shade to be found at Canyonlands, so fall is a nice time to be in the park on a sunny day when the air isn’t stifling! It’s a perfect time to explore the Canyonlands hikes!
Winter Weather at Canyonlands
We love visiting Canyonlands National Park in the winter! But there are some drawbacks to keep in mind. Visitor services are reduced and you’ll need to be more self-reliant in the winter.
BUT the cold winter weather may not be for everyone.
- Canyonlands in December : Highs 45 | Lows 23 degrees F
- Canyonlands in January : Highs 44 | Lows 22 degrees F
- Canyonlands in February: Highs 52 | Lows 28 degrees F
The roads may be snow-covered and icy or even closed after a storm at Canyonlands Island in the Sky vs Needles Canyonlands… so always check the website for current conditions.
BUY AT AMAZON: Arches and Canyonlands Guides and Maps:
Plan Your Canyonlands Vacation
- Canyonlands National Park Guide
- Canyonlands Packing List
- Best Time to Visit Canyonlands National Park
- Canyonlands National Park Island in the Sky
- Needles Canyonlands
- TOURS Near Canyonlands
Where to Stay Near Canyonlands
There are no lodging facilities in the park, but there are campgrounds:
- Island in the Sky Campgrounds
- Needles Canyonlands Camping
- Where to Stay Near Canyonlands
- Hotels Near Canyonlands National Park
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Moab – we enjoyed our stay and highly recommend this hotel due to its location close to Canyonlands.
- Purple Sage – our all-time favorite place to stay in Moab – walking distance to shopping, full kitchen, and only 8 units so you don’t feel lost in a large hotel.
- Red Cliffs Lodge – rooms up to 6 people – located 17 miles from Moab, this lodge is known for its beautiful location, winery and activities like horseback riding, fishing and more!
- Townhomes south of Moab – we really like the townhomes in Spanish Valley with kitchen, washer and dryer in the unit and a swimming pool/hot tub (just a 5 minute drive south of Moab).
- Rent an RV – have it dropped off at your vacation destination!