It’s all about the weather when deciding the best time of year to plan a vacation. This article details the Moab weather you can expect each season and month of the year.
This Moab, Utah Vacation Guide tells you everything you need to know to decide the best month to visit.
There are plenty of things to do in Moab all year long, but the temperatures and weather will impact what you need to wear and could limit the outdoor activities you can do.
Do your research to know what it’s like visiting Moab, Utah at various times of the year so you can decide which season and month is best for you to plan your vacation to enjoy outdoor activities!
This site contains affiliate links which means WE may receive commissions for purchases made through these links. We only provide links to products we actually use and/or wholeheartedly recommend! As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full Disclosure Policy.
What To Pack for a Trip to Moab
- Hiking shoes
- Darn Tough hiking socks
- WATER: Hydration packs or carry refillable water bottles in your backpack.
- Healthy snacks – there may be NO services on the trails you’ll hike or drive.
- Lip balm with sunscreen and hydrating lotion – Utah’s high elevation and dry air can be hard on your skin.
- Summer – High temperatures, unrelenting sunlight, and low humidity. To keep cool, wear light colored, loose fitting UV protection clothing that does not absorb sunlight. Also avoid sun burn by wearing a sunhat and by generously applying sunscreen to any parts of your body that are exposed to the sun.
- Winter – Pack winter clothing to stay dry and warm.
- Fleece jacket
- Buff headbands
- Hand sanitizer
- Flashlight or headlamp
- First aid kit
- DOWNLOAD – Camera gear checklist
A Photo Tour of Moab, Utah
Take a visual tour through the Moab, Utah area to see the stunning landscapes you’ll see when you visit!
Visiting Moab, Utah
Most of the year you’ll enjoy fun outdoor Moab adventures like scenic drives, hiking, biking, and photography. During the winter, the activities may be a bit more limited due to cold or snowy conditions!
When planning a trip to this popular Utah vacation spot, it’s important to be up-to-date with current weather and road conditions!
Use these resources to plan your Moab vacation:
- Moab Utah Hiking Trails
- Kid-Friendly Things to do in Moab, Utah
- Guide to Moab photography
- Arches National Park Travel Guide
- Canyonlands National Park Guide
- Dead Horse Point State Park
Arches & Canyonlands AUDIO TOUR
“Download the app to your phone – no cell or wifi service needed. Based on your GPS location, the app takes you on a guided tour of the park and points out all the interesting features and stops. It’s like having a park ranger in the car with you.”
Moab, Utah Weather: Moab Weather by Month
If you’re wondering the best time to visit Moab, below you’ll find specific information about what it’s like at different seasons and months of the year to help you decide.
You’ll also find links to different articles we’ve written about each season or month specifically: weather, services, and things to do that time of year.
Spring Weather in Moab
Springtime in Moab varies quite a bit from month to month. When visiting Moab in the spring, it’s important to pack for all types of weather because you never know when the weather will change.
- Moab in March: Highs 64 | Lows 35 degrees F
- Moab in April: Highs 71 | Lows 42 degrees F
- Moab in May: Highs 82 | Lows 51 degrees F
It is not unusual to get rain or even snowfall in March. We recommend you watch the weather and pack a winter coat, winter hat, and winter gloves when going to Moab in early spring. A fleece jacket, hat, and gloves should be fine later in the spring.
During the spring, Faux Falls is running at full capacity! It’s a fun stop and great place to photograph a waterfall in the desert.
Spring is a busy time for the Utah National Parks near Moab. We we recommend you get in the park early to for the best photography:
Summer Weather in Moab
When planning your trip to Moab in the summer expect HOT temperatures! Since the temperatures are brutal this time of year, plan your outdoor activities for the cooler mornings and evenings!
- Moab in June: Highs 93 | Lows 60 degrees F
- Moab in July: Highs 100 | Lows 67 degrees F
- Moab in August: Highs 97 | Lows 66 degrees F
With the hot summer temperatures, you’ll want to protect yourself from the sun by wearing a sun hat, sunscreen and sunglasses. It’s important to stay hydrated and carry a hydration pack or a refillable water bottle in your backpack. You also need to eat salty healthy snacks!
Summer is a great time to enjoy the AC as you explore the scenic drives near Moab:
Enjoy the cooler evenings by stargazing at Arches, Canyonlands, and Dead Horse Point. All three are popular locations for milky way photography!
Fall Weather in Moab
The weather at Moab in the fall starts to cool down making it a great time to explore the park because it will be cooler in the mornings and evenings, and the daytime temperatures aren’t too hot compared to the summer.
- Moab in September: Highs 85 | Lows 54 degrees F
- Moab in October: Highs 71 | Lows 40 degrees F
- Moab in November: Highs 55 | Lows 30 degrees F
Fall is a nice time to explore the Moab area on a sunny day when the air isn’t stifling! It’s a perfect time to explore the hiking trails in the area. The fall months are still busy so hit the trails in the morning or late afternoon.
- Moab Utah Hiking Trails
- Arches National Park Hiking Trails
- Canyonlands Hikes
- Dead Horse Point State Park Hiking Trails
Winter Weather in Moab
The temperatures really drop at Moab in the winter so it’s the least busy season. We don’t mind the colder weather for enjoying outdoor activities, which makes the winter the best time for us to visit to escape the crowds!
BUT the cold winter weather may not be for everyone.
- Moab in December: Highs 45 | Lows 23 degrees F
- Moab in January: Highs 44 | Lows 22 degrees F
- Moab in February: Highs 52 | Lows 28 degrees F
During the winter it is especially important to dress in layers. We recommend an insulted winter jacket, fleece jacket, warm hat and gloves if you’ll be doing any outside activities. Here’s the full list of the outdoor winter clothing we use – especially these awesome photographer gloves and rechargeable hand warmers!
Where to Stay in Moab
There are many types of accommodations to choose from in Moab: budget-friendly hotels to higher-priced resorts. You’ll also find vacation rentals, a hostel, campgrounds and RV parks in Moab.